The general function of the yoga instructor will be to instruct and be knowledgeable regarding the type of Yoga class that is being taught. Build relationships and connect well with class participants while providing an optimal Yoga environment.
Job Type: Part-time
Skills & Qualifications
- Must have a fitness/wellness background and ability to individually and group instruct others.
- Must hold appropriate Yoga Certification.
- Should have a basic knowledge of body mechanics to know what effect the movements have on various major muscle groups in order to prevent injury.
- Ability to motivate and lead others.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- Ability to comply with all expectations and follow all procedures appropriately.
- CPR/AED Certification required upon hire.
- Healthy Lifestyle Principles Certification through the Y of the USA recommended within 6 months of hire.
- Foundations of Group Exercise or Foundations of Strength and Conditioning Certification through the Y of the USA recommended within 6 months of hire.
- Always being an advocate for the Y.
- Lead classes following YMCA fitness standards.
- Instruct using visual as well as verbal cueing in order to make the class easier to understand for anyone from the fitness novice to expert.
- Develop positive relationships with members and provide motivational support and guidance.
- Increase participant awareness of all healthy lifestyle factors.
- Attend staff meetings and approved training as required.
- Ensure safe and effective workouts. Respond to, and report accidents and incidents.
- Responsible for finding substitutes for classes in a timely manner.